Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Fixing My Eyes

So yesterday was my 48th birthday. I treated myself, at my husband's urging, to my first pair of reading glasses. I have succumbed to presbyopia. Yes, my arms just weren't long enough to read the finer print on labels or the reading lamp just wasn't bright enough anymore. So we picked out a snazzy red pair to help me in my advancing years. My eyes needed to be fixed. Funny this purchase came the same week I have been reminded of another fixing that my eyes needed. Four times I have been reminded to "fix my eyes on Jesus". First one came in a sermon. The pastor said that his primary goal when he came to our church was to help us fix our eyes on Jesus alone. Programs and people are not to be our focus. Only Jesus. My second reminder came in a note of encouragement from a friend. She wrote, "You have gone through alot...and yet I see your minds fixed on Jesus." I don't always succeed at this, but am thankful that she encourages me to continue on and stand firm. Third instance was in my birthday card. The person wrote, "taking a stand to keep our eyes on JESUS--HE IS FAITHFUL!!" Lastly, I hopped in the car and flipped on the radio and what do I hear? "In the trials and struggles of life, keep your eyes fixed on Jesus." These 4 messages all came within a week of each other. I guess I don't need any louder message than this. What happened to Peter when he took his eyes off of the Master? He noticed the stormy seas and began to sink. I have been struggling with anxiety and in my head I know where to turn. I rejoice that God used others to remind me that I need to use those new reading glasses and keep my eyes fixed on Jesus by READING HIS WORD. The nearness of His presence will keep me calm no matter how rough the waters.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Wendy. Timely for this heart o' mine. Can't wait to see you in those snazzy specs! Only a couple more weeks...Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely reminder,Wendy! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. My friend looks for three lighthouses. Three different confirmations on what she feels God has told her. This is when she really knows that God is speaking truth into her life and she must act. Many blessings to you this year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete