Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Day in the Life


So I'm taking a friend's advice and just writing about anything. I was getting frustrated at not having any "inspiration" on what to write about. She told me good writers write about all sorts of mundane things. What separates good writers from average ones is that when you've finished reading about the mundane, you're thankful that you've just read it. You were drawn in and responded to the words. Response is the apex of good writing. So here goes:

Don't you love it when you try to save time by e-filing your taxes and you get a return email saying your information does not match last years e-file and you didn't even e-file in the prior year? So instead I'm filling out the paper form to mail in. Lately, my life is filled with forms. Financial aid for my college-bound son, tax forms, annuity forms for my late father, applications for aid for my mom in the nursing home. My head is swimming. Oh to curl up by the fire with a fun book! But then I think of the moments that keep me sane. My 9-year-old cuddled up next to me on the couch while we read the next exciting chapter of Harry Potter. Then there's the ooey, gooey, fudgy warm brownie downed with icy cold milk. Watching the embers dying in the fireplace sets me at peace for the night's sleep ahead. All in all, it was a mundane day, but it was my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment